Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Teaching Your Children To Love

I love opportunities that allow my children to show love to others; to think outside of themselves and think of someone else first.

"Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men." -Philippians 2:3-7

Sometimes these opportunities seem to just arise. But most times, you have to be looking for them. Just like everything else, it comes back to where your heart lies. When your heart is to love others, you will see that there are always countless ways to show and share love.

I am not always the best at this. One of the many things that having children has taught me, is that I can be really selfish.
However, my heart really is to love as He loves me and to help cultivate that love in my children; to be an example to them, and seize any opportunity that they can give love themselves.
We use My Father's World school curriculum and our Bible lesson recently was about the Bread of life.
One of the suggested activities was to make a simple loaf of bread and take it to someone. When I shared this with my oldest son, he was so excited to not only make the bread but to share it. He immediately knew who wanted to take it to, one of our neighbors, a sweet elderly woman.
This opportunity was presented to us. We had a choice to do it or not do it. But it isn't just the act of doing it.
.."God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:7
We had such a great time making this bread together. It blesses my heart so much to watch my children grow in love for others.
It is God that transforms our hearts but I am the one He has chosen to be their example right now. Oh, how I am so thankful that He does not expect me to do this on my own. I would surely fail.
Just in case you are ever tempted to think that my house always looks nice....  ;)
This is real life folks; we're living it and I hope to always convey that.
Our bread is done!
After letting it cool a bit, we packaged it in this bakery lined bag and added our bible verse that Stone Man colored during school.

"...I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty." -John 6:35

To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
-author unknown

It feels good to be loved...spread some around!
-Jenny





No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunshine from our friends