Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Vegan, Grain Free Pumpkin Pie and Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Cookies

It seems like it has been a while since I shared a recipe on here. Oh my, I have some good ones for you today!

I tried out some new recipes over Thanksgiving and they were so good that I will definitely be making some of them again for Christmas.
I really don't crave sugar or other things like that anymore, but one thing I really didn't want to miss out on was pumpkin pie. I love a slice of good ole' traditional pumpkin pie; not pumpkin cheesecake or pecan pumpkin pie; none of the frills, just some pumpkin pie.
So, I was SUPER excited when I saw this recipe for pumpkin pie posted on my favorite healthy eating site, The Detoxinista.
 Here is what you need for the Pumpkin Pie (shown above: these are ALL of the ingredients needed for both recipes I will share today)

Vegan, Grain-Free Pumpkin Pie
1 cup raw almonds, soaked at least 4 hours (or 1/2 cup creamy almond butter)
1 cup pure maple syrup
1 16 oz. can of pumpkin puree (or fresh puree)
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

She recommends using the almond butter in place of the almonds if you don't have a high powered blender like a Vitamix, which I don't.
Mix it all together in a bowl.
Then transfer it to your blender and blend until good and creamy.

 Pour into a greased pie pan and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce temp to 350 and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
It is so incredibly moist and delicious, you won't believe it!

And because I am pumpkin junkie, I also had to try these pumpkin cookies from the same site. They also did the trick for my pumpkin fix!

Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Cookies-Vegan & Grain Free

1 cup creamy almond butter
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 and line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Mix all ingredients together until smooth and fold in your chocolate chips.
Use a cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet and then gently press each cookie with a fork. (wetting the fork will help keep it from sticking to the dough)
Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or golden brown.
Then enjoy a few with a cup of coffee or almond milk! :)

The holidays don't have to mean filling ourselves with unhealthy meals and treats and undoing all of the hard work we have done the rest of the year. You can still "indulge" and be good to your body too!

Happy Baking!
-Jenny




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunshine from our friends