Thursday, August 16, 2012

Throwback Thursday - What's in a Name

What’s in a Name?

This picture has nothing to do with the post below other than it is a nice "throwback" look from a fundraiser we attended last year. Zumbathon 80's style. I chose to wear the garb, Keylee was forced but she looked pretty cute I must say.  Oh yeah!

Well for this Throwback Thursday I’m going to share with you the story of my name and a little bit about me. I am my parent’s fourth child after three rowdy boys. We were each born approximately 2 years apart give or take a few months (or a few days in me and my third brother’s case – the 9th and the 13th). My parents had tried three times to get a girl and ended up with all those boys (totally joking here) and then finally me. I was born in the house my parents had built roughly a year and a half before. They had decided they would like to do a home birth with the help of a friend who was a midwife and a friend who was also a nurse. My dad actually caught me and cut the cord – said cord was in the way when I was born and made dear old dad think he had his fourth boy but the midwife told him to take a second glance.  But before all this had taken place my dad searched out a name for me. He wanted something special and different and found a verse in the bible: “Luk 1:78  Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us…”  He liked dayspring but felt it was a bit long for my name. So he dropped the y-p-n-g and came up with Daspri (long a). Now, the great thing about this name is that it is bright and speaks of the springing up of the day. Funny thing is…I am NOT a morning person. I guess he was trying to help me out because I get hit with it twice Daspri Dawn, he really wanted me to get that morning thing down, ha.

Now, when I was young I really wasn’t a huge fan of my name. It was different and hard to pronounce (when I started public school in 4th grade everyone said it wrong). I wanted to be like the other kids and I always said my name was Vanessa when we were playing a game or something and we made up names. Vanessa seemed normal and so I chose it. The older I got the more I came to appreciate my name and the uniqueness that it carried. I was the only one. The only Daspri and that was something special. (I know of 1 other with my name, she is much younger and her aunt went to school with me). So when I got to college I really appreciated the name and have carried it with pride ever since. I am still not a morning person but I am certainly doing my best to spread the light of day (Christ) to those I come in contact with.

So, what’s in your name? Does it mean more to you than what you are called? Give it some thought.
Daspri








No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunshine from our friends