Wednesday, August 15, 2012

No Wheat, No Dairy, No Sugar...No Problem!

Hey there and welcome to Wellness Wednesday! I began this series here, by telling a little bit about myself and why I began this journey to better health. At the end of my last Wellness post, I shared that I have been free from ALL medications for 4.5 months now!

Today, I would like to share with you how I got where I am today.
I have been wheat free, dairy free, and sugar free for going on 5 months now. I know that some of you reading this might be thinking, "what in the world does she eat then?!"

Truthfully, there is still quite a lot that I can eat and enjoy.  It is really a matter of changing the way you think, which then changes the way you grocery shop, cook and eat. And most important, in the end, it changes the way you feel!

I eat primarily fresh vegetables and fruit.  I do a good amount juicing as well and enjoy handfuls of raw nuts ocassionally too. I still enjoy coffee, but have cut back on how much I am enjoying in a day and I drink a lot of water.  I do NOT eat anything processed...meaning anything that is not an actual food, which really pretty much wipes out the entire middle section of the grocery store.

Why did I take out wheat, dairy and sugar from my diet? Well, from my reading and research, all three of these things cause inflammation in the body and also feed the yeast in the body, resulting in an overgrowth of yeast often referred to as Candida. It is really crazy how many diseases and health problems stem from too much yeast in our bodies and most people have no idea.

You might be thinking, "but wheat is supposed to be good for you?" And yes, you are right, it is SUPPOSED to be. The problem is that the wheat that we are consuming is really no longer wheat. It has been genetically modified so much that there is literally no longer any traces of real wheat in it anymore. Our bodies were not designed to break down this "fake wheat." And to make matters worse, this "wheat" is in everything now.  I would like to challenge you to start looking at the list of ingredients on your food and see just how many have wheat listed in them.  A great book on this very topic is, "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, MD.  I may not agree with everything in his book, but he gives some wonderful history, facts and insight into the world of wheat and our bodies. It will blow your mind!

I have not gone to school for any of this nor am I a licensed anything, but I am someone who suffered from chronic sinus infections, allergies, and headaches and I suffer no more!
Oh, and did I mention that I have also lost 17 lbs so far too.

My hope is that by sharing my journey, what I am learning, and some delicious recipes with you that you will begin your own journey to better health and begin to feel great too!

So, how about a recipe?

Veggie Chow Mein
(this recipe serves our family of 6 with some leftovers)

-box of Rice Noodles
-Red Cabbage (sliced into strips)
-3-4 carrots (sliced into strips)
-onion (sliced into strips)
-red bell pepper (strips)
-2-3 cloves of fresh garlic (chopped very fine)
-mushrooms (diced)
- 2-3 cups of fresh spinach leaves
-2-3 celery stalks- diced
-handful of raw cashews (optional)
-soy sauce (wheat free)
-raw coconut oil
-concentrated stevia powder (optional)

You will start by adding a bit of coconut oil to your sauce pan or wok.
Then add your garlic and onions and saute for about a minute on medium-high heat.

*Now, you will place your rice noodles in a pan of hot water and let them soak for 6-8 minutes.

Next, add your red peppers, cabbage, carrots and some soy sauce.
Saute for a few minutes until veggies look soft but still a little crisp.
Then, add your mushrooms and celery and saute for a few more minutes, adding more soy sauce.
Lastly, add your spinach and your cashews. You want to add these last so your spinach does not get too wilted and your cashews still have a crunch to them.
I like to add a dash of stevia powder to ours and a bit of garlic powder and black pepper too.

Now your noodles should be ready to add into your sauce pan with your veggies. Stir them all together, adding some more soy sauce and a little bit of water to help stir it all together.  I just add until I get it the consistency and taste that I want.  Place your lid on and let those good flavors simmer on low for about 5-10 minutes.
Now enjoy!

My whole family loves this meal. We have also found that it tastes pretty delicious served as a cold dish the next day too!





-















And for dessert...Almond Cookies!  Oh. my. goodness! These are SO yummy!
You can get the recipe here.  I love The Detoxinista site. It has been very helpful to me.

We have made these cookies many times and they are delicious with or without the frosting. I have also added some unsweetened shredded coconut to mine a few times and it makes it even better.  The best thing about this recipe is that ALL of the ingredients are actually really good for you!

Let me know if you try these recipes, have some yummy recipes of your own to share or if you have any questions. I would love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome, Jenny! So happy for you! A lot of people that we know who have kids on the autism spectrum also follow a casein (dairy) and gluten (wheat) free diet and have seen improvements in some of their children's austic behaviors...crazy! Thanks for sharing the great recipe too!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sunshine from our friends